Saturday, January 29, 2011

Book Review: Vixen

Vixen (The Flappers)

Synopsis: (inside cover)
JAZZ...BOOZE...BOYS...
It's a dangerous combination.
Every girl wants what she can't have. Seventeen-year-old GLORIA CARMODY wants the flapper lifestyle--and the bobbed hair, cigarettes, and music-filled nights that go with it. Now that she's engaged to Sebastian Grey, scion of one of Chicago's most powerful families, Gloria's party days are over before they've even begun...or are they?

CLARA KNOWLES, Gloria's goody-two-shoes cousin, has arrived to make the high-society wedding comes off without a hitch--but Clara isn't as lily-white as she appears. Seems she has some dirty little secrets of her own that she'll do anything to keep hidden...

LORRAINE DYER, Gloria's social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria's shadow. When Lorraine's envy spills into desperate spite, no one is safe. And someone's going to be very sorry....

From the debut author Jillian Larkin, VIXEN is the first novel is the sexy, dangerous, and ridiculously romantic new series set in the Roaring Twenties...when anything goes.

My Thoughts:
I usually get really bored with historical fiction. I guess it's because I hate history. I mean I don't hate it with a passion, I just hate studying and memorizing it in school. Vixen was actually my first historical fiction set in the 1920s. I really enjoyed it. It consisted of 3 points of views, Gloria's, Clara's, and Lorraine's. I usually hate books that have more then one POV because they are hard to follow. Vixen on the other hand is easy to follow. Every chapter says the girl's name at the beginning of whose POV it's in. I did happen to catch one mistake in the book. It was in one of Lorraine's chapters, but the author accidently made it Clara's. It was only one sentence, so not that big of a deal. I almost read right over it. Hah. My favorite character would have to be Clara. Lorraine got on my last nerves. She was constantly whining about how Gloria didn't deserve the stuff she got. It just got annoying. Gloria wasn't as bad as Lorraine, but she got a little annoying sometimes. She was always complaining about her life too. Clara actually had a mystery to her storyline. I found it very interesting. 
I would love to live in those days. To go to the speakeasies and all sounds fun. Maybe its just me? Lol but it sounds really interesting to be all sneaky. It was also very dangerous since the speakeasies are illegal. Of course, most of the cops are payed off by the mobsters. 


I can't wait til the next book in the Flapper series comes out! It's called Ingenue (The Flappers). It will be released on August 9, 2011. Which is on my birthday!! YAY! Well there is one thing I know I will be doing on my birthday, going to B&N and getting this book! 


If you haven't read this book, you should really check it out! I recommend it to anyone who loves a good romance with lots of twists and mysteries. 


Rate: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment