Monday, December 20, 2010

Urge (and responsibility) to Blog

So it's near one o'clock but I got the urge to blog. I've just been up on the computer for awhile since I've been away from home for about a week. I'm glad to be back home and enjoy the rest of Christmas break. I'll try not to ramble too much. This is a book-ish blog so I guess I should talk about a book.

So yesterday (well actually two days ago--Saturday) I finished the fourth Rizzoli and Isles novel Body Double by the extremely talented Tess Gerritsen. I actually became a big fan of the show and then realized there were books, so of course I got into them. It's a bit strange that I'm so enthralled by the series, but I love murder mysteries and thrillers. So I was immediately drawn to this series. Her books are PHENOMENAL, honestly.

First off, the characters actually make me feel connected to them in that they are irreplaceable (cue Beyonce song, "to the left, to the left"). The storylines are amazing as well, and everything is described in such detail I get thrown into the story. I guess that's a little cliche but it's the God honest truth. There's always a twist (of course) in most murder novels, but in this series there is a brain exploding twist that makes you feel like you should have known. Even after four of her novels, I still am unable to 100% complete the mystery before it's revealed. However, in the one I just finished I actually came about 94% close to the solution to the mystery.

The first two books were about Jane Rizzoli only, then Maura Isles is introduced in the third book, The Sinner. The books and show are much different because they obviously can't fit a whole book into an hour-long show each week; however, one of the episodes was based on the first book The Surgeon.

These books will have your heart pumping and adrenaline running, which is a difficult thing for me because I watch scary/horror/thriller movies and shows all the time (take Dexter, courtesy of the last post). The novels are by no means "scary" like supernatural or anything (like what you readers are most likely more acquainted with) but are more thrilling in their nature.

Just because it may not sound like "your type of book/genre," you might be surprised how enjoyable they are.

Books in Order of Publication:
  • The Surgeon
  • The Apprentice
  • The Sinner
  • Body Double
So here is the section where I tell a fact about me and the book I'm currently reading. Another fact about me is that I'm a Macintosh fanatic. There. Now let the hate mail ensue.

I was intensely reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter in the last post, but I kind of strayed. I can't really say I'm reading one book because I normally start about three to five but mainly focus on one.

My "subordinate reads":
  1. When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
  2. Hot Six by Janet Evanovich
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
My "main read":
  1. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Au revoir readers. Keep on reading. In case I don't blog before Christmas/the New Year, Merry Christmas (screw "happy holidays") and Happy New Year! Woot: 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment